Why Regenerative Agriculture?
Driving positive change for a sustainable, thriving and more resilient agriculture sector.
As global population increases and climate crisis intensifies, farming systems are increasingly under threat. We urgently need agricultural systems that minimise environmental stress and secure long-term livelihoods for farmers.
Regenerative agriculture is proving to be a pathway that could significantly improve the resilience of agricultural supply chains. We can build upon the important work that is already taking place on farms globally.
Why the Regenerating Together Programme?
To meet the urgent need for an industry aligned approach to demonstrate regenerative outcomes on farms.
In an industry-first, our Regenerating Together programme offers a global definition of and an aligned approach to regenerative agriculture that aims to mitigate and adapt to the impact of climate change, improve soil health, support biodiversity, retain water in the soil while reducing its consumption and improve farmers’ livelihoods in a just transition approach.
- Aligning on four global impact areas, while providing flexibility for crops, dairy and beef farmers to locally work towards regenerative outcomes.
- Assessing and prioritizing environmental and production risks at supplyshed and farm level.
- Selecting meaningful and measurable regenerative agriculture outcomes based on the prioritization of environmental and production risks.
- Measuring and monitoring progress over time across environmental impact areas at farm level.
- Selecting and implementing context-relevant regenerative principles and practices.
- Developing actionable local plans for continuous improvement.
Our programme is evolving based on an inclusive industry-wide consultation with:
“It is only by working together collectively to build an industry-aligned solution that we can truly transform our agricultural production system.Yves Leclerc, Global Director of Agriculture Sustainability at McCain Foods
By creating a comprehensive cross-commodity and industry-recognised programme, SAI Platform is playing a leading role in the transition towards regenerative agriculture globally.”