As we prepare for our Annual Event 2018 from April 24-26, here are some interesting facts about why Aarhus is the perfect location.
1. Aarhus is located on the east coast of the Jutland peninsula of Denmark, 187 kilometres (116 miles) northwest of Copenhagen.
2. Known as Smilets, the City of smiles, Aarhus is the second-largest city in Denmark and home to some of Denmark’s leading food companies:
- Arla Foods (Milk)
- Danish Crown (Pigs)
- Danish Agro (Animal feed)
- Dupont (Ingredients)
- KMC (Potatoes)
- Hamlet protein (Soy feed)
3. Within just an hour’s drive from Aarhus there is a high concentration of food-related expertise in Europe such as the global innovation centre Arla Nativa in Agro Food Park.
4. In fact, the food innovation hub Agro Food Park is home to 75 companies and 1,000 knowledge-intensive workers.
5. Aarhus boasts more than 700 researchers and scientists specialised in food and agriculture.
6. The Municipality of Aarhus together with Aarhus University, Aarhus Tech, and FOOD Denmark are currently working together to strengthen cooperation between chefs and food manufacturers to ensure sustainability, improve education about food, and to ensure public participation within the food industry.
7. 2017 saw Aarhus winners of the European Capital of Culture as well as the European Region of Gastronomy.
Source: Business Region Aarhus