SAI Platform has released the latest in a series of position papers on major sustainability issues in the agri-food industry.
The Position Paper on Animal Welfare, supports SAI Platform’s key principle to be part of “an industry that ensures welfare of livestock by adhering to the Five Freedoms, and that promotes animal health and natural behaviour”.
- Freedom from hunger and thirst—by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
- Freedom from discomfort—by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
- Freedom from pain, injury or disease—by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
- Freedom to express normal behaviour—by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind.
- Freedom from fear and distress—by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering. (Farm Animal Welfare Education Centre, 2012)
SAI Platform recognises the challenges of ensuring animal welfare and that standards do vary around the world but believe that real progress requires proactive and ongoing engagement with stakeholders and collaborative action. The choices SAI Platform and members make, do have impact.